Today, I would like to introduce “Shintaro Ajioka’s Typeface Course,” written by Shintaro Ajioka.
Typeface and typography-related writings of Shintaro Ajioka, the creator of Mincho typeface font “Ajimin” series, who is also a graphic designer, are included in this book. Details that led up to creating a typeface, type, copyright, etc. are discussed. The entire book is created with typesetting featuring typefaces created by the author, and it is also a sample book of typefaces.
The chapter of “Thoughts on Vertical Typesetting and Horizontal Typesetting” is about accepting horizontal typesetting, which is plentifully and naturally used now, at a time when the vertical typesetting was mainstream, and the way Japanese typeface and typography should be, absorbing history and culture – it is written with a sense of criticism. It is important to discuss typeface and typography with an eye of criticism like the author. I read this book with concern whether or not I have these words. For someone like me who works at a font maker, there are many stories I was fairly ashamed to hear. This book enlightened me with new perspectives.
“Shintaro Ajioka’s Typeface Course”
Author: Shintaro Ajioka
Publisher: Haru Natsu Aki Fuyu Sousho
- Book of the Month (September 2023): “Shintaro Ajioka’s Typeface Course”
- Book of the Month (July 2023): “Men Who are Possessed by the Type”
- Book of the Month (February 2023) : “The Visual History of Type”
- Book of the Month (December 2022) : “Reading Letters”
- Book of the Month (October 2022): “SANS SERIF”
- Book of the Month (June 2022): “’Typeface’ is Created”
- Book of the Month (March 2022): “Size-specific adjustments to type designs”
- Book of the Month (December 2021): “The Field Guide to Typography: Typefaces in the Urban Landscape”
- Book of the Month (November 2021): “Designing Type”
- Book of the Month (October 2021): “Writing Vertically Creates the Scenery of Words – Why Do We Need Two Japanese Writings in Vertical and Horizontal?”
- Book of the Month (September 2021): “Kanji, Katakana, and Hiragana – History of Japanese Notation”
- Book of the Month (August 2021): “Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design’s Golden Age”